Monday, June 2, 2008

Synaesthesia


Today we completed a task called Synaesthesia.  I have some images that I painted whilst listening to particular music.  With these paintings I used colors and shapes to express how I felt when I listed to that particular music.

Above is number one of eight.  This was the "Simpsons" intro music.  Here is what I wrot after I painted this:

I used yellow because the Simpsons are yellow.  Bright blue was used as well as lime green - the music is comical.  I also used red because in a certain point of the music I remembered the car driving into the garage.  The shapes I used because they reminded me of the toons in the show.

It took me a while to recognise the music I was painting to but I figured it out - the Olypmics theme.  I had painted red, white and blue as I felt it had the strength and pride that the USA culture depicts.  The green and gold in waves represents the Aussie swimmers.  The coloured spots represents celebration.  And the red in the corner is an image of a puffed out chest of a soldier in his marching gear.  Pride, pride and more pride.


Didn't know the song I heard when I painted this but I liked it.  I thought of the feeling that the wind had on your face before a storm arrives - which is why I have used the above colours.


Well, this is the image I got when I heard "Going to the Chapel".  Lots of colourful confetti almost.  I thought of bright bubbles.


This music made me feel nauseous.  It gave me a REALLY bad feeling like if you watch a scarey movie about spirits or something.  Yes, I got the heebee geebees.  Hence the use of black and the red and blue were a representation of sharp notes, almost fingernails being scraped across a blackboard.


This music gave me a beachy feel.  The music gave the feeling of soft waves.


The music was very childlike and in a dream like state.  Almost a lullaby.  That is why I used pale colours and painted stars like out of a children's book.



This image was painted listening to barn yard type music.  It gave me the feeling of speed and also a feeling of going around circles.  The dots are to represent quick beats and a fast pace. I initially painted the red object in the middle - like a speeding comet.  Not a big fan of this music.

No comments: