Sunday, June 1, 2008

Assignment - Design Elements 3D





GPS BOX 

I have for the second part of my assignment, tidy up my original idea for MAPSAT.  I have looked at the finer details on the box design by adding the logo ONTO the actual image of the GPS system.  I also put the MAPSAT logo and the series number on every side except the bottom (as this would be the only area that wouldn't show on a shelf in a tore). Instead of using Arial font for the details on the bottom of the box I used Myriad Pro.  I thought it was a little stronger than the Arial font.  The rest of the fonts I used for the box is exactly as the original hand rendered box - slogan 'Directing the Future' is is Blair MD ITC, and the Series number is in Century Gothic.  The MAPSAT logo is Freshbot.

I have also put a flashy gimmick for a "Free Australian Accommodation Guide" that people can send away for.  I didn't have anything particular that stood out in my hand rendered assignment.  I thought having the link to Travel mate was enough, but this time I wanted to put a bit of extra 'oomf' in it.  The gimmick is a RED ribbon that is wrapped around the box so that when the promotion ends you do not have to spend extra money redesigning the box.  

I had my box layout printed in one sheet so I could have smoother edges.  I had it also printed in gloss but the only problem was that I had to have it printed in three different sheets, so I made the decision that I wanted the box to look as tidy as possible without corners folding out. If I could have printed it all on one sheet it really would have looked better as by using the gloss, the colours were a lot stronger. This was glued on by using bonding spray.

My box design has been altered slightly from my original.  I decided this time NOT to have a lip around the lid as the sides kept folding/curling out.  If this was done in mass production I would have to also wrap the box in clear plastic to prevent the lip from being damaged - extra cost that is not needed.  So I made the top of the box to slide into the box.  This also prevented the possibility for error/mismatch if I tried to print the details from the side of the box on the lip.  

MAG AD

I wanted to keep the original idea/concept of my 2D ad and just put some life into it.  I arranged to have some photos of some people in the same pose in the car (thanks, to the people that volunteered).  And this time on the positive image of the ad I put a faint glow around the edges of the MAPSAT so it would stand out.

I also thought it would be fun to stick this ad in a 4WD magazine to give it a more realistic feel.

I had this printed on gloss paper so that it would look like it is for a glossy mag ad and not a newspaper.  I believe it also makes the colours stand out that bit more.

No comments: